Until just a few days ago, I had never heard of the Vargo wood stove. Right off the bat I was impressed with this stove – it looks like it can go anywhere and cook just about anything.
The Vargo wood stove is versatile enough to be able to use wood, sterno, or an alcohol stove inside of it. As I took thee stove you of the box, the first thing I noticed is how thin it is.
Vargo Wood Stove Dimensions
- Height Folded – about 3/4 inch tall
- Width – the widest part across the base is about 5 5/8 inches
- Height un-folded – about 4 inches tall
- Top width – about 3 inches across
- Base – about 4 3/4 – 4 7/8 across
The bottom of the stove has 19 hexagon holes stamped in it, which as about 3/8 across.
The way your “supposed” to use this stove, is you find some small pieces of wood and build a fire inside of the stove. But while looking at the stove, and doing some thinking, I found that a sterno / methanol gel fits perfectly into the stove. I know the Vargo Hexagon Wood Stove is not designed to be used like this, but oh well, it works.