The Story of Buster My Black Mouth Cur Farm Dog

On the Saturday morning of March 10th, 2018 I went to open the chicken house, and my Cur dog was not with the other two. Zoey, Ellis and Buster usually run together. Zoey and Ellis were home, but Buster was not.

He was not home before Saturday night. When dark rolled around, I was very concerned.

Sunday, I spent 3/4 of the day looking for buster. The rest of the day was spent getting ready for Monday.

Buster black mouth cur farm dog

Monday, got up and wrote some articles for alloutdoor, spent the rest of the day looking for Buster. Did a hiking trip through the area where the dogs usually prowl.

Monday night I was an emotional train wreck. Blaming myself for not having him fixed… etc.

6:30 Tuesday morning Buster was at the front door. Back leg looks like it was clipped by a vehicle. Nothing bad, just some road rash.

He is probably the most affectionate dog I have ever owned. He loves to snuggle in the bed, and will sometimes sleep with his head on my shoulder.

In the woods he is always prowling, looking, running.. etc.

Spent close to $400 for a wireless fence with shock collars.

Buster has an appointment Friday at the vet to get fixed.


So why is Buster so important?  He is more than just a dog, he is a symbol of humanity.

My wife and I found Buster on the side of the road.  Someone had dropped him off when he was just a puppy.  Buster was nothing but skin and bones, and probably just a few days from starving to death.  In fact, the evening we found Buster a cold front was pushing through.  So chances are he would had died the night we found him.

Buster was picked up off the side of the road, brought home, given food, dog house and a blanket.  That evening I looked out of the front door, and Buster was laying in his dog house sound asleep.

Even though thunder was shaking the house, Buster did not wake up.  That night was probably the first night buster had a full stomach and a dry place to sleep since he had been born.

Buster was around five months old when he was found.

Following Months

Over the course of the following months Buster displayed signs that he may had been abused.  Any kind of loud noise would cause Buster to cower in fear.  Even a loud sneeze would cause Buster to shake all over and cower with his tail tucked.

It took months for Buster to ever start to show signs of progress.

He would not eat or drink if someone was watching him.  If someone walked into the kitchen while he was eating, he would tuck his tail and run away.

A year after finding Buster he has made some wonderful progress.  He is playful, loves the other dogs, and loves my wife and I.   However, Buster does not like strangers.

Buster loves to run and play in the woods around the farm.  When the dogs and I go walking through the woods, Buster is at his best.  He is leaping, jumping, running, sniffing… everything a dog should do.


When Buster did not show up by dark on Saturday night I knew something was wrong, terribly wrong.  He is a pack dog and rarely goes off by himself.

3/4 of the day Sunday, March 11 was spent talking to people who live near the farm, walking around the farm, and walking the roads near the farm.

Nobody I talked to had seen Buster.

Monday rolled around an still no Buster.  I was heart broken.  I had pretty much given up any hope of finding Buster alive.  The best  hoped for was to find his body and be able to bury him here on the farm.

Then, 6:30 am Tuesday morning my wife came into the bedroom and told me Buster was outside.  I thought she was mistaken and had seen something like a rabbit in the morning light.  When I looked out of the front door I saw Buster just off the deck of the house.

His hind leg looked like it had been clipped by a vehicle, and he was starving, but otherwise no worse for the wear.

Back Home

After coming home Buster has been very scared.  He does not want to go outside, and whines in pain when he jumps on the couch.

Over the past few days he has been getting slowly better.

Friday, March 16, 2018 Buster was brought to a local vets office to be neutered and get his shots up to date.  His shots were not due until April, but while he was in the vets office I told them to go ahead and take care of everything.

In part I blame myself as Buster should of been neutered several months ago.  We live in a rural area and I did not know there was a dog near enough for him to smell. I was mistaken.

Buster has a long road ahead of him.   He will receive the care and support he needs to make a full recovery.