The Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger is unlike a lot of other backpacks, as it only has one shoulder strap. Its designed so that the user can disconnect an under-the-arm strap, and then spin the pack so that its in front of them. Thus, making the pack easy to access without having to dismount it.
The single shoulder strap supports the weight of the pack, while the under the strap helps to keep the pack in place.
The Kodiak Gearslinger has 5 compartments:
- Place for the water bladder
- Small outer pouch on top outside
- Medium outer pouch on outside
- Zipper pouch on outside of medium pouch
- Main compartment
Specs from the Maxpedition Website:
* Single shoulder backpack designed to maximize utility when rotated towards front of body
* Main compartment: 17 high x 10 wide x 4 thick with internal organization
* Top front: 4.5 high x 9 wide x 2 thick with internal organization
* Bottom front: 10 high x 9 wide x 2 thick with internal organization
* Approximate Capacity: 1100 cu. in.
* Fits up to 15.4″ (diagonal screen size) laptop computer.
* Bag can be worn in front and contents comfortably accessed while sitting down
* Water bottle pocket sized to fit 32oz Nalgene bottle
* Compatible with 100oz hydration reservoir
* Theft deterrent devices built-in to capture zipper pulls
* PALS modular webbing throughout to for attaching accessories
* Top and side handles
Before the pack is taken out on a hiking / camping trip, I wanted to get a feel for it. So I grabbed some Eversafe meals, GPS, topo maps, water filter, map compass, hammock,,, and put everything in the Kodiak.
Top smaller outer pouch that is on top of the pack – bug spray, topo maps, GPS and map compass fit in there just right.
In the larger outside pouch, my first aid kit and water filter fit in there just right.
In the main compartment, I had the 2 Eversafe meals, rain poncho, rope, and hammock. If this pack was being fitted for a real camping trip, I would have to strap a poncho liner or fleece sleeping bag to the outside of the pack, add a multi-tool, and a couple of other things and it would be ready to go.
I like the pouch on the side for a 32 ounce water bottle. Plus, there is a compartment for a water bladder. So if your heading out in hot weather, you should be able to carry plenty of water.
The strap that goes sunder your arm has an emergency whistle on it – which is a nice addition.
What I Would Like to See Changed
The Kodiak Gearslinger really needs some straps on the bottom. I found it awkward trying to strap a fleece sleeping bag to the pack – when the bag was put on the top of the pack and strapped down, the pack deformed so that it would not have fit my back properly. Having some way to strap something to bottom would really be nice.
Take a couple of the straps on the side and turn them vertical – this would make strapping something to the side much easier. Lets take a tripod for example, I’am not quit sure how I’am going to strap it to the pack.
Excellent Product. Very HIGH QUALITY! Buying more products in future
Pricey? Depends. If you want to get a new tent every few years. Me, I'd rather buy good quality. I'll be back for the awesomeness that is Max-packs offers.
Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger Backpack 423B Black Tactical Bag EDC
The seams are ripping out of a pocket. They didn't use enough fabric to make a good seam.
Great day back , carry with me every day at work.. Holds lots stuff , highly recommend..