Lets discuss food sources in a post apocalyptic world after SHTF. Survivalist have a wide range of ideas on how to get food in a post apocalyptic world. Some of these ideas cover everything from living a hunter-gather lifestyle, to living off of food stocks until society recovers, to farming and gardening. Lets take a look at some of these ideas and make some comparisons.
The plans that each Survivalist has will vary widely depending on actual experience and training. The plans range from the very well thought out and tested plans, to spur of the moment ideas.
Lets set the tone for this article – a new virus has developed that has a 90% fatality rate. This is like what the Black Death was in 1348 – 1350, where 1/3 of Europe died. Society has broken down to the point where no food or fuel supplies are being shipped. People will not leave their homes except to find food – which gets more difficult to find. Finally, people have to do “something” so they do not starve to death.
One survivalist approach is to Bug Out to the wilderness and live off the land – this is also called the “Bug Out Bag” theory. In the event of a world wide disaster, the survivalist is going to grab their Bug Out Bag, then take their family out to the wilderness to live off the land.
This is reminiscent of prehistoric man living a hunter-gather subsistence lifestyle. There are several problems with this situation:
- There is no support chain – if you need help, your own your own.
- Very few people have the skills to live a hunter-gather lifestyle.
- People have difficulty adjusting to sudden changes in their lifestyle.
- Deforestation has destroyed a lot of native edible plants.
- A lot of wild edible plants are seasonal.
- Unsafe drinking water – people that adhere to the Bug Out Bag theory, underestimate the effects of water borne pathogens, as their primary source of water will be from streams, lakes or rivers.
- At the mercy of the weather – rain or shine, hot or cold, your just gonna have to tough it out.
To a lot of people, these points do not matter. If Homo Erectus, Neanderthal, Cro-Magnon and early Homo Sapiens could survive for tens of thousands of years with simple stone tools, then so can they.
Bug out bag theorist forget – once agriculture was developed, the hunter-gather lifestyle was abandoned. Why expend so much energy hunting and gathering food, when it can be grown?