Surely everyone has heard of a LifeStraw? It is a simple tube that is a water filter. Place the inlet into the water, then suck the water through the tube. Seems simple enough right? Almost too good to be true?
If something seems to god to be true it usually is, except for the LifeStraw.
Back in March of 2017 I decided to take the plunge and ordered a LifeStraw from Amazon. In April I took the LifeStraw on a hiking trip and gave it a test run.
First impressions were very good. It was just like pulling water through a straw. The water took a few seconds to get through the filter, but when it did, the flow was excellent.
From the Amazon product page.
- Filter size: 0.2 microns.
- Surpasses EPA filter standards.
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria.
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites.
- Filters up to 1000 liters of contaminated water.
- Does not require batteries and has no moving parts.
- Each straw is individually packaged.
Now for the video.
Overall, I was very happy with how the LifeStraw performed. The individual wrapping allows someone to stockpile the filters, then hand them out as needed.
Going on a hiking or camping trip with some buddies, kids, grandkids… etc? They do not have a water filter? Just pull a few out of inventory and hand them out.
Is the LifeStraw worth $20? I think it is. The simple design means no pumping and no moving parts. Just insert the straw into a water source, and suck. If you would rather not get your knees wet, dip a water bottle (or canteen) into the water source, then use the LifeStraw to drink from the container.
One thing that I like about the LifeStraw, if someone is in a hurry, and they do not have to break out the typical pump style filter, just fill up the water containers and keep moving.
Latest posts by Kevin Felts (see all)
- Why Do People Give Their Rights Away - February 18, 2018
- Mountain House Breakfast Skillet Review - February 18, 2018
- Only Fascist Should Have Guns - February 18, 2018
- Define Common Sense Gun Control - February 15, 2018
- Parkland School Shooting And Problems With Society - February 14, 2018