While visiting the 2018 SHOT Show, I noticed something rather strange. There was something missing that should have been in clear view of all attendees. I looked, looked, and looked some more, and was never able to find it.
The missing items were – public awareness about the flu. The CDC says the flu outbreak of 2017 – 2018 is near epidemic levels. Yet, with an estimated 60,000 people attending SHOT Show in Vegas, not a single poster, no hand sanitizer… nothing about the flu.
SHOT Show, and other trade shows, are a perfect vector for disease transmission:
- People flying in from all over the world.
- Face-to-face conversations.
- Show lasted four days. Which was plenty of time for people to become infected and not show symptoms.
- Before symptoms started to show, people would be back on a plane.
- Tight quarters of a jetliners are a perfect vector for transmitting the flu.
- Layovers in airports would provide the possibility of infecting people who are traveling all over the world.
While at SHOT Show I heard people talking French, German, Arabic, Spanish… and several other languages I did not recognize.
Yet, with all of the evidence, I did not see a single public health poster about the flu.
- Only hand sanitizer was outside the bathrooms.
- No posters asking people to wash their hands.
- No posters talking about flu awareness.
- No posters talking about covering your cough.
- No N95 mask for the public.
It was if the flu did not exist.
Missing Flu Prevention
The big question – “Why?” Why was there no public health information posted in SHOT Show about flu prevention? Just a simple poster outside the bathrooms reminding people to wash their hands would have been nice. Yet, there were no posters.
Even in the food lines at the deli there were no bottles of hand sanitizer. After shacking hands with people all morning, it would have been nice to have a gallon bottle of hand sanitizer at the deli line.
It seems rather hypocritical for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to say we are on the verge of a flu epidemic, yet there were no public health warnings at the 2018 SHOT Show.
Maybe I should contact the Health Department in Vegas and see why there was no public health awareness at SHOT Show?
Latest posts by Kevin Felts (see all)
- Fake Prepping Websites Diminishing The Community - June 17, 2018
- Tomatoes, Peppers, and Okra Spring Garden Update - June 16, 2018
- JETBeam KO-01 1080 Lumens Flashight Review - June 15, 2018
- June 2018 Fishing Trip on the Angelina River – A Short Story - June 11, 2018
- Local Wildlife Ate All The Wild Plums - June 6, 2018