A few months ago a buddy of mine and I were talking about life, jobs, careers when I mentioned I was tired of the 8 – 5 grind. I expressed how tired I was of doing the same thing day after day. My buddy suggested a look into getting a job in the tugboat industry. You live on the boat, have chances for upward mobility, experience opens some rewarding career paths.
I got my TWIC card and physical then sent off for my Merchant Mariner Credential.
Then came the bad news, jobs in the tugboat industry are highly sought after. Being entry level makes things that much worse. Like all other industries tug companies want to high people with experience.
After 6 months of looking I was lucky to find an outfit willing to give me a chance.
I am 46 years old. I have at least another 20 years before I retire. This gives me enough time for another career and enough time to make some money before retirement.
This is a random video of a tugboat. What tands out is at around 3 minutes into the video the sun goes down, then you see the lights of the tug against the city lights, with the American flag flying high.
Latest posts by Kevin Felts (see all)
- Evinrude Outboard Motor Lower Unit Oil Change - June 22, 2018
- How To Spot Fake Prepping Websites - June 22, 2018
- Thorfire TK01 AAA Battery Flashlight Review - June 21, 2018
- Fake Prepping Websites Diminishing The Community - June 17, 2018
- Tomatoes, Peppers, and Okra Spring Garden Update - June 16, 2018