Chickens see snow for first time
Thursday January 23rd we started to get snow here in southeast Texas, I am in the Jasper area to be exact. Between Thursday night and into Friday morning at sunrise we ended up with 2 inches of snow on the ground and 3 inches of snow on the top of the chicken house and other places off the ground.
When I let the hens out in the morning they usually run out of the house and start looking for food. With snow on the ground it was a nopeday. As in nope, they are not going outside. The hens would go down the ladder to under the chicken house. Look around for a few minutes, then go back up the ladder.
After about 6 hours I finally took a couple of hens and set them out in the snow. From there things were ok.
When my wife and I built this chicken house off the ground I was worried about how the chickens would do in cold weather. This is the second winter and so far none of the hens have shown any signs of frostbite.
Forum thread – Chickens see snow for first timeChickens see snow for first time,
Latest posts by Kevin Felts (see all)
- Gear Sling Pack For Get Home Bag - November 28, 2016
- Arrival Movie Review - November 25, 2016
- Is The 30-30 Winchester Obsolete - November 25, 2016
- Thanksgiving Message from President Elect Donald Trump - November 23, 2016
- How to Pick a Good Skinning Knife - November 22, 2016