Up until just a few weeks ago I had never heard of a Gearpods, which is marketed as a modular adventure and survival system.
When I was approached about doing a review of the Pod, the first thing I did was go to youtube and do a search. Well, no results came back – which is kinda strange. You can find just anything you want on youtube, except in that point in time I could not find a video about “GearPods”. Ok, we need to fix that problem.
When on a backpacking trip, organizing small items can be a real pain. This is where the Gearpod comes into play. Not only does it help organize items, it helps keep electronics dry with o-ring seals.
Not only does the pod have a cap on each end, to make the system where it can be expanded there is a slice in the middle. To add another pod, just take the cap off one end and thread on another splicer.
The smaller pod is a basic first aid kit. Contents included some band-aids, over the counter pain killers, other odds and ends wrapped inside a pouch that looks like parachute material. The basic first kit is just that basic. Its what you would expect to find in a kit this size. To be honest, this is more then what I sometimes take on the trail.
The survival kit is where the real juice is at – its the stuff in the longer tube.
- Waterproof matches
- Pocket compass
- Razor knife
- Pocket saw
- Water purification tablets and plastic bag – use the bag as a makeshift canteen
- Pencil and paper
- Needle, thread and safety pin – stitching clothes or wounds
- Duct tape – good for wound closure
The black tube makes into a stove, which is a very nice feature.
Now that we have gone over the Gearpod, and talked about the good stuff, lets talk about some of the stuff that I did not like.
A, AA mini-maglight will not fit inside the pocket on the outside of the pouch.
The attachment straps seem a little wide for ALICE attachments, but a little narrow for a compression strap.
The price seems a little steep.
Overall, I liked the Gearpod and can see it having a place in my pack.
Latest posts by Kevin Felts (see all)
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is The Result of a Root Problem - November 25, 2018
- Hunting in Seasonally Blocked River Sloughs - November 25, 2018
- What Do The 2018 Midterm Election Results Mean? - November 11, 2018
- Agenda of the Democratic Socialist Party of America - November 4, 2018
- Democrats Voting Against Their Best Interest - September 2, 2018