The large ALICE pack is one of my favorite backpacks, and has been one of my favorites since mid-1990s.
The All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment (also know as “ALICE Pack”), was first introduced by United States Army in 1974. The ALICE pack was intended as a replacement to the aging M-1956 Load-Carrying Equipment [LCE] and M-1967 Modernized Load-Carrying Equipment.
The ALICE pack has become popular with the players of airsoft and paintball. The popularity of the ALICE pack is due to the quality of the materials it is made out of, its easy to customize, and the packs area easy to find in most military surplus stores.
With the introduction of MOLLE packs on the market, there has been a shift from the ALICE pack to the MOLLE pack. Personally, I think the ALICE packs are more durable then the MOLLE packs. The ALICE pack frames are aluminum and will not break like the MOLLE pack.
The military service people that I have talked to prefer the ALICE packs over the MOLLE pack, mainly due to the plastic frame of the MOLLE breaking.
This video gives a description of the large and medium ALICE packs.
The ALICE pack in the video is about 12 to 13 years old, and has been on more hiking and trips then I care to count. The overall comfort of the pack is a little lacking, but its designed for military service, not the civilian market. If you are looking for a go anywhere and do anything pack, its going to be hard to beat an ALICE pack.
I also like the amount of pockets on the ALICE, as compared to the MOLLE. The Large ALICE pack has 3 large pouches and 3 small pouches on the outside of the pack. On the inside of the pack you have the radio pouch – which is great for storing all kinds of small gear.
The MOLLE packs lack an internal radio pouch like what the ALICE packs have.
With the MOLLE packs, I like the size of the sustainment pouches that can be mounted to the outside of the pack.
Large ALICE Pack Description
- Main compartment.
- Internal radio pouch.
- Three small external pouches.
- Three large external pouches.
- Main compartment is closed with a raw string.
- Has to be used with a frame.
- Frame can be used by either the medium ALICE or large ALICE.
Over the years I have found the large ALICE to be a well rounded backpack for most applications, besides very cold weather.
Latest posts by Kevin Felts (see all)
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is The Result of a Root Problem - November 25, 2018
- Hunting in Seasonally Blocked River Sloughs - November 25, 2018
- What Do The 2018 Midterm Election Results Mean? - November 11, 2018
- Agenda of the Democratic Socialist Party of America - November 4, 2018
- Democrats Voting Against Their Best Interest - September 2, 2018